Table of Contents
The Singapore River’s Commercial Past
- The Singapore River was a bustling commercial hub during the colonial era, with warehouse and bumboats transporting goods along the Rochor, Kallang, and Singapore rivers.
- Bumboats, also known as tongkang, were wooden boats used for transporting goods from the 19th to 20th century.
The Singapore River Cruise Experience
- Since 1987, the Singapore River Cruise has been offering travelers a chance to experience modern Singapore’s heritage and modernity by taking a bumboat ride along the river.
- The Singapore River Experience takes visitors through iconic districts like Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, and Marina Bay, offering a glimpse of the city’s rich history and soaring futuristic architecture.
Ticketing and Disembarkation Information
- Visitors can purchase tickets at the Clarke Quay Jetty River Cruise ticketing counter or purchase the tickets online via Klook. (Website Links)
- The entire ride lasts for 40 minutes, and visitors can disembark at any of the 13 jetties to explore. (all jetties remained closed until further notice except Clarke Quay Jetty)
Recommended Time to Take the Bumboat Tour
- It is recommended to take the bumboat tour in the late afternoon or after dusk to catch the sunset over the river or the bright lights of the city’s urban nightscape.
- The district comes alive at dusk and offers picturesque shophouses for great photo opportunities.
Getting to Clarke Quay Jetty River Cruise by Public Transport
- MRT: Alight at Clarke Quay MRT Station (NE5) and take Exit A. Walk along the Singapore River towards the direction of the Central Business District (CBD) to reach the Clarke Quay Jetty.
- Bus: Take bus number 54, 124, 145, or 147 and alight at the Clarke Quay bus stop along Eu Tong Sen Street. Walk along the Singapore River towards the direction of the CBD to reach the Clarke Quay Jetty.
- Taxi or Ride-hailing Service: Inform the driver to drop you off at the Clarke Quay Jetty, along River Valley Road.
Ticket Prices for Singapore River Cruise (2023)
- Adult: S$ 28.00 (regular price), S$ 26.50 (online price)
- Child (3-11 years old): S$ 18.00 (regular price), S$ 16.50 (online price)
Singapore River Cruise Tips:
For optimal comfort during your Singapore River Cruise ride, it is advisable to prepare for the local weather conditions. We recommend bringing along an umbrella and applying sunscreen, or wearing a hat to protect yourself from the tropical heat and potential rainfall. This will ensure a more enjoyable and comfortable experience during your river cruise journey.
3E River Valley Road, Singapore
Monday to Thursday, 1pm-10pm
Friday to Sunday and Public Holidays, 10am-10pm.
Cruise departs hourly till 9pm daily.