Table of Contents
Discovering ArtScience Museum™: A Spectacle of Design and Innovation
ArtScience Museum™ is a one-of-a-kind museum that exemplifies the fusion of art, science, and technology. Situated within the iconic Marina Bay Sands complex, this architectural marvel is the brainchild of the celebrated architect Moshe Safdie, who is also the visionary behind Jewel Changi. Since opening its doors to the public in 2011, ArtScience Museum™ has become a cultural landmark that showcases some of the most innovative and groundbreaking exhibitions in the world.
Here are some of the most notable features that make ArtScience Museum™ a marvel of design and innovation:
1. Unique Architecture Design
The architecture of ArtScience Museum™ is nothing short of extraordinary. Its distinctive shape and structure make it one of the most unique buildings in the Marina Bay Sands area. The ten “fingers” of the museum are made of steel, and their curved design is joined by a series of steel ribs to give the structure its iconic lotus shape. The museum’s design is a nod to Singapore’s heritage as the “Lion City,” where the lotus flower holds cultural significance as a symbol of purity and enlightenment.
2. Green Building
ArtScience Museum™ is committed to sustainability and has incorporated eco-friendly features in its design. The museum boasts a rainwater harvesting system that collects rainwater and recycles it for use in the building’s irrigation and toilet flushing systems. Additionally, the museum uses energy-efficient lighting systems and air-conditioning units that significantly reduce energy consumption. These features have earned ArtScience Museum™ a Green Mark GoldPlus certification from the Building and Construction Authority of Singapore.
3. State-of-the-Art Exhibitions
ArtScience Museum™ is renowned for its innovative and thought-provoking exhibitions that seamlessly blend art and science. These exhibitions explore a range of topics, from technology and culture to the environment and beyond. The museum has hosted critically acclaimed exhibitions such as “Future World: Where Art Meets Science” and “Planet or Plastic?” that use immersive installations, interactive displays, and cutting-edge technology to engage visitors.
4. World-Class Facilities
ArtScience Museum™ is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities that cater to a diverse audience. The museum’s auditorium and multi-purpose hall are ideal for conferences, events, and performances. The museum’s galleries are designed to showcase art and science exhibitions in a visually stunning and engaging way. The museum also features a gift shop, a café (SweetSpot Cafe), and a restaurant that provide visitors with an immersive culinary experience.
5. Virtual Reality Experience:
– ArtScience Museum™ offers a range of Virtual Reality (VR) experiences that allow visitors to engage with the exhibitions in an immersive and interactive way.
– The VR experiences are designed to complement the exhibitions and offer a unique perspective on the artworks and installations.
– Visitors can use VR headsets to explore different environments and engage with 3D models of objects and artworks.
– The VR experiences at ArtScience Museum™ are often curated in collaboration with artists and scientists to offer an enriching and thought-provoking experience.
Adult: S$19, Concession: S$14
Sands Rewards LifeStyle Members: 30% off
6. Cinema Experience:
– ArtScience Museum™ also features a state-of-the-art cinema that showcases a diverse range of films and documentaries related to the museum’s exhibitions and themes.
– The cinema is equipped with advanced projection and sound systems that provide a high-quality viewing experience.
– The cinema features regular screenings of films that explore the intersection of art, science, and technology, as well as documentaries that delve into contemporary social and environmental issues.
– ArtScience Museum™ also hosts special film events and festivals that bring together filmmakers, artists, and experts to discuss and explore current topics in film and the arts.
Standard Adult: S$13
Concessions: S$11 (seniors, students, NSFs)
ArtScience Friends: 20% off
- The museum is open daily from 10am to 7pm, with last admission at 6pm. It is closed on certain holidays.
- Visitors can purchase tickets online via Klook or at the museum’s box office.
- Audio guides are available in several languages, including English, Mandarin, and Japanese.
- The museum offers free Wi-Fi access to all visitors.
- Photography is allowed in most areas of the museum, but flash photography and the use of tripods or monopods are prohibited.
- The museum has a gift shop where visitors can purchase souvenirs, books, and other items.
- There is a café located on the first floor of the museum, which serves a variety of drinks and snacks.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible, and wheelchairs are available for loan upon request.
- Strollers are not permitted inside the museum, but can be parked outside the entrance.
- Large bags and backpacks must be checked at the coat check counter.
- The museum has a strict dress code, and visitors are not permitted to wear shorts, sandals, or flip-flops.
ArtScience Museum™ is a must-see destination for anyone interested in art, science, and technology. Its unique architecture, eco-friendly design, innovative exhibitions, and world-class facilities make it a true spectacle of design and innovation.
6 Bayfront Avenue, Singapore