Singapore River Cruise
The Singapore River’s Commercial Past
- The Singapore River was a bustling commercial hub during the colonial era, with warehouse and bumboats transporting goods along the Rochor, Kallang, and Singapore rivers.
- Bumboats, also known as tongkang, were wooden boats used for transporting goods from the 19th to 20th century.
The Singapore River Cruise Experience
- Since 1987, the Singapore River Cruise has been offering travelers a chance to experience modern Singapore’s heritage and modernity by taking a bumboat ride along the river.
- The Singapore River Experience takes visitors through iconic districts like Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, and Marina Bay, offering a glimpse of the city’s rich history and soaring futuristic architecture.
Ticketing and Disembarkation Information
- Visitors can purchase tickets at the Clarke Quay Jetty River Cruise ticketing counter or purchase the tickets online via Klook. (Website Links)
- The entire ride lasts for 40 minutes, and visitors can disembark at any of the 13 jetties to explore. (all jetties remained closed until further notice except Clarke Quay Jetty)
Singapore River Cruise Route. Enlarge image to see the details. Starting point is on the right-hand side of the map. (Clarke Quay Jetty)
Recommended Time to Take the Bumboat Tour
- It is recommended to take the bumboat tour in the late afternoon or after dusk to catch the sunset over the river or the bright lights of the city’s urban nightscape.
- The district comes alive at dusk and offers picturesque shophouses for great photo opportunities.
Getting to Clarke Quay Jetty River Cruise by Public Transport
- MRT: Alight at Clarke Quay MRT Station (NE5) and take Exit A. Walk along the Singapore River towards the direction of the Central Business District (CBD) to reach the Clarke Quay Jetty.
- Bus: Take bus number 54, 124, 145, or 147 and alight at the Clarke Quay bus stop along Eu Tong Sen Street. Walk along the Singapore River towards the direction of the CBD to reach the Clarke Quay Jetty.
- Taxi or Ride-hailing Service: Inform the driver to drop you off at the Clarke Quay Jetty, along River Valley Road.
Ticket Prices for Singapore River Cruise (2023)
- Adult: S$ 28.00 (regular price), S$ 26.50 (online price)
- Child (3-11 years old): S$ 18.00 (regular price), S$ 16.50 (online price)
Singapore River Cruise Tips:
For optimal comfort during your Singapore River Cruise ride, it is advisable to prepare for the local weather conditions. We recommend bringing along an umbrella and applying sunscreen, or wearing a hat to protect yourself from the tropical heat and potential rainfall. This will ensure a more enjoyable and comfortable experience during your river cruise journey.
The Singapore River Cruise offers visitors a unique opportunity to experience the city’s heritage and modernity through a bumboat ride along the river. While traversing the Boat Quay stretch, one can appreciate the picturesque cityscape that presents a striking contrast and exemplifies the distinctive culture of Singapore. The towering skyscrapers of the Central Business District (CBD) loom over the renovated traditional shophouses, creating a captivating blend of the old and the new.
As you pass by the Raffles Landing Site, you’ll come across a white marble statue standing in honor of Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of modern Singapore. A short distance away is another iconic landmark from Singapore’s past, the majestic Fullerton Hotel, which was first built in 1928. The building’s colonial architecture has been preserved and restored, making it one of the city’s most recognizable landmarks.
If you’re taking the tour at night, the golden lights of the Marina Bay district will greet you as you make your way past Merlion Park. From the back of the bumboat, you’ll be treated to unforgettable views of Marina Bay Sands® and the ArtScience Museum™ on one side and the durian-like structure of Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay on the other. These iconic landmarks, together with the Singapore Flyer and Gardens by the Bay, form the city’s skyline, which is an unforgettable sight to behold.
At this point, you would have witnessed the many highlights of this tour. Whether it’s the river’s commercial past or the city’s modern skyline, the Singapore River Cruise offers visitors a glimpse into the city’s rich history and soaring futuristic architecture.
3E River Valley Road (beside G-Max Reverse Bungy), Singapore 179024